Monday, November 12, 2007

What is it about the rain?

Rain is often an inconvenience for many. People complain about it as though it is the most wretched thing on earth when water is the number one thing that sustains all life. Okay, okay, there are some times when rainy weather is not desired, like when I was in Phoenix at spring training and the A’s-Giants game was rained out. That was a major bummer for sure. Usually though, I welcome it. I love how clean the air seems during and after the rain. It rinses away the film of nastiness that cumulates on the sidewalks during the warm fall months in San Francisco. The sound of it soothes me and brings back comforting memories of being in the house I grew up in, eating fondue with my family and retreating to the floor in front of the fire and watching a movie.
The first day of rain is always very pleasant for me. I was thankful to not be working and be able to enjoy it, taking care of some errands along the way. I strolled around with my umbrella, and my thoughts and I was able to process some things that I needed to tend to.
Something I had been thinking a lot about was the negativity in the world, more specifically in my own life. This has been on my mind for quite some time, but only recently am I actually taking steps to reduce the negative influences in my life. Not to say that I am cutting everyone out of my life who has sucked at one time or another but more to be mindful of how negative people affect me, who I spend my time with and how I spend my time with them.
As I get older, my time becomes more valuable. I have eliminated some unhealthy relationships, especially in the past year or so. If this means I don’t get to do a bunch of things I don’t really want to do, just for the sake of being social, then so be it.
My relationships are very important to me. I take them very seriously. I enjoy nurturing those I care about and sometimes people take advantage of that generosity. Sometimes I find myself giving much more than I am receiving. That is my fault. But I am learning.
And the rain comes as a reminder to me that I am progressing and making these positive changes. Sometimes, it just washes away the outside film, revealing something that we might not have noticed if the weather had remained the same.

1 comment:

Catheroo said...

Nice post, sister :-)
And negative people suck!